Should I Be Concerned About Carbon Monoxide In My Home?

August 17, 2015

You may not know it, but in the United States alone more than 20,000 people are accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide every year and about 500 of these people die. When our homes are filled with this odorless, tasteless gas, we are not safe from Carbon Monoxide Dangers because it goes undetected unless carbon monoxide detectors are installed at specific intervals.

JAMA recently published a study that shows drywall is no match for carbon monoxide. The gas goes right through walls and ceilings to reach everyone in the home. Although 25 states require homes to have carbon monoxide alarms installed, 10 of these exempt residences with no indoor source for producing carbon monoxide. Some toxicologists worry that this may result in a false sense of security and cause even more deaths from accidental exposure.

Suppose you live in an apartment and one of your neighbors decides to use his charcoal grill inside his unit. The carbon monoxide produced will not only affect the neighbor, but once it is inside it can go anywhere in the building. That leaves everyone at risk for Carbon Monoxide Dangers. Unless you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home, you and your family might get sick or even die.

To demonstrate the problem, let’s take a look at what happened to Mecklenburg County North Carolina in 2002. North Carolina had an ordinance requiring carbon monoxide detectors only in homes with carbon monoxide producing appliances. All-electric homes were exempt if they had detached garages. However, when an ice storm hit that year most power in the area was cut off and some residents turned to their own devices to heat their homes and cook. Without the right detectors installed, generators placed incorrectly, inappropriate cooking and heating equipment caused 96.2 of all the carbon monoxide poisoning that took place during that time.

It didn’t take long for the Mecklenburg County officials to change things and the following year all homes were required to install battery backed-up carbon monoxide alarms.

For more information about Carbon Monoxide Dangers and other matters relating to the home, follow us and read more great articles about heating, air conditioning and home needs.


About The Author

Brody Pennell

Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning is the committed to helping homeowners in the greater Los Angeles area experience total home comfort. In 2021, the readers of the Los Angeles Times voted Brody Pennell the Best HVAC Company in the area.

Request Service

Please fill out the form below to request an estimate or schedule service.



Google logo with 4.9 star rating
Facebook logo with 4.9 star rating
Yelp Logo with 4.8 star rating
We Are Here For You

Schedule Your Service Today


We aren't comfortable until you are! To get started, give us a call at (310) 896-4911 or book online.

Los Angeles Heating and Air
24/7 Emergency Service Available!

Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning has provided Los Angeles with award-winning HVAC service. Our team can service, repair, and install any brand heating and air conditioning system. We are here for you!

Office Hours

Mon – Fri: 7:00am – 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am − 1:00pm
Sun: CLOSED

24/7 Emergency Service Available!

Contact Us


© Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning | All Rights Reserved.