Skip to main content

Tips For Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Your Home

June 29, 2015

Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by burning any type of fuel. If humans inhale too much of this gas, it replaces oxygen molecules in the bloodstream and causes poisoning, which can be deadly. You should take the steps necessary to prevent the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.

Many appliances in the home, including fireplaces, space heaters, wood-burning stoves, water heaters and gas central heaters, are sources of carbon monoxide. If the area where the appliance is in use has poor ventilation or the appliance leaks, carbon monoxide can escape into the atmosphere and pose a threat to the home’s occupants.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include, fatigue, headache, nausea, irregular breathing and dizziness. One sure sign these symptoms are related to excess carbon monoxide is if walking outdoors makes the individual feel better but going back inside triggers the symptoms.

Every level of the home should have at least one carbon monoxide alarm and one smoke alarm. Every alarm should meet the latest safety standards set forth by the Underwriters Laboratories. Set a reminder or choose a day of the year that is easy to remember to change the batteries in each detector.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Always open the flue before burning any fuel in a fireplace. Leave the flue open until the fire is completely out. Do not burn charcoal in a fireplace or attempt to use a barbecue grill indoors. It is a good idea to hire a professional to clean the chimney once a year.

Remain alert for signs of rust, corrosion or soot buildup on major appliances, vents and chimneys. Have a qualified technician perform an annual inspection to make sure there are no leaks.

[su_button url=”” background=”#f66f16″ center=”yes”]SEE OUR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE AGREEMENTS[/su_button]

If you use a space heater, always use the proper fuel and keep the area well-ventilated to allow any fumes to escape. If you have a wood burning stove, verify that it complies with current EPA emissions limits and all local regulations. Never attempt to burn anything except wood in this type of stove.

Homeowners who take these precautions can keep their families safe from the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Follow our blog for more information on heating, cooling, and keeping your home energy efficient.

About The Author

Brody Pennell

Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning is the committed to helping homeowners in the greater Los Angeles area experience total home comfort. In 2021, the readers of the Los Angeles Times voted Brody Pennell the Best HVAC Company in the area.

Request Service

Please fill out the form below to request an estimate or schedule service.

Google logo with 4.9 star rating
Facebook logo with 4.9 star rating
Yelp Logo with 4.8 star rating
Google Rating
Based on 1859 reviews

Service Request

Google Rating
Based on 1859 reviews