Sometimes, all the home repairs come at once. Although it can be a headache to deal with multiple repairs – especially in Los Angeles – there are some advantages. For example, you can look at solutions that otherwise wouldn’t have been feasible. So when it comes to HVAC sometimes customers ask, is it a good idea to replace your AC and furnace at the same time?
The answer is: it depends. There are pros and cons to replacing the two major components of your HVAC system. As a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer serving LA for over 70 years, we are well-versed in this predicament!
Advantages to replacing AC and furnace together
Your furnace and your air conditioner work together to heat and cool your home. Did you know: even during the summer, your furnace is working? That’s because your furnace contains the blower fan that helps move air through your home. The evaporator coil for your air conditioner is the indoor portion that makes that air cold. In short, your furnace and your AC work together and not independently.
There are several advantages if you want to replace your AC and furnace at the same time:
- Reduced downtime – by doing both installs at once, you can limit how long your heating and cooling system will be inoperable.
- Improved system efficiency – since air conditioners rely on the blower in a furnace to move air, the efficiency of the fan matters greatly to the efficiency of your air conditioning system. So, when you replace both your AC and your furnace you’ll realize greater efficiency gains than if you replaced just one.
- More options – If you decide to replace all the components in your HVAC system, you can consider other system types. For example, a heat pump system or a ductless system may be a good option for your home. These systems offer cooling and heating from a single device. In this case, you’d be replacing two pieces of equipment with just one.
- Save with promotions and rebates – Most deals that are available to homeowners are limited time offers. That includes lucrative HVAC rebates from local utility companies. Rebates don’t always make a comeback, so when they are available to you its a great time to take advantage. Usually, incentives will be offered for air conditioners and furnaces separately. So if you replace your AC and furnace at the same time, you can double dip!
Disadvantages to replacing your AC and furnace simultaneously
Although there are a lot of benefits to replacing these two systems together, there are some drawbacks.
The obvious first challenge relates to the total cost of the investment. There are lots of ways to save on a new HVAC system, but there’s no getting around this one. It will be a pricey endeavor! The silver lining is that when you replace both systems at the same time, you’ll save on the total cost of the installation. Replacing just a furnace is somewhat expensive, but adding a furnace replacement to an AC replacement is just a few thousands dollars.
Another hang-up to replacing your AC and furnace at the same time would be if you plan to sell soon. HVAC replacements are known as invisible improvements. A brand new heating and cooling system just isn’t as sexy as a new kitchen or a resort-style pool. When it comes to selling your home, a new heating and cooling system will be a bonus to buyers – but likely won’t improve your home’s value. So, if you think you’ll be selling in the next few years, it may make sense to only replace one piece of equipment or the other.
When does it make sense to replace my AC and furnace at the same time?
There are a couple of scenarios that would make us recommend replacing both systems simultaneous.
- Replacing Your Furnace – Furnaces can last as long as 30 years. So, if you’re already looking at installing a new furnace for your home, you might as well look at your air conditioner at the same time. The newer, more efficient HVAC equipment available often combines the heating and cooling systems.
- Retirement – If you’re nearing retirement age, now is the time to take care of these more expensive home repairs. Once you are on a fixed income, it can be more difficult to arrange for big home projects.
- Complex Installation – Homes with tight crawl spaces or difficult-to-access outdoor spaces (such as condos in downtown LA) may benefit from replacing all their systems at the same time.
Reliable HVAC Installations in Los Angeles
At the end of the day, only you can decide what is best for your home. If you’re seriously considering replacing both your AC and furnace, we recommend speaking with a professional. A highly-trained representative can help guide you and provide custom recommendations for your home. The award-winning team at Brody Pennell would be honored to serve you! Contact us today to schedule a home visit.
Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning is the committed to helping homeowners in the greater Los Angeles area experience total home comfort. In 2021, the readers of the Los Angeles Times voted Brody Pennell the Best HVAC Company in the area.
Please fill out the form below to request an estimate or schedule service.
"*" indicates required fields