Your furnace needs regular maintenance, and one of the most important upkeep tasks is an Air Filter Change. When the air filter in a HVAC system is clean, the unit runs better, parts last longer, air quality is healthier and energy bills are lower.
Can you do an Air Filter Change yourself? The answer is yes, but there are some things you should know before attempting this simple chore.
First, HVAC filters come in different sizes and types. To check your furnace filter’s size, just look at the existing filter. The part will have the size and filter media printed right on it. Also, you can check the furnace owner’s manual. Additionally, the filter will have arrows to indicate the correct way to insert it into the furnace.
Second, most air filters should be changed every 3 to 4 months. For the best efficiency ask a HVAC pro or consult the owner’s manual.
Third, air filters are made of different materials. Your choice can, in part, depend on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish with the filter. Air filter types include:
1. Fiberglass. This cost-sparing filter medium does a good job. A favorite with homeowners because it is readily available at home and hardware stores, fiberglass may have to be changed more frequently than other kinds of furnace filters.
2. Media air. Used mostly by HVAC professionals, this multi-layered filter works well and is very durable. Most home owners, however, do not use it because it is not commonly stocked at the corner home outlet.
3. Pleated air filters. They have a lot of surface area to trap dust, dirt and other contaminants but also allow for free flow of air from the HVAC units.
4. Activated carbon filters contain charcoal. They excel at eliminating heavy and persistent odors from the home environment. They are not as useful for trapping particulates such as pollen and dirt.
5. HEPA filters. These are High Efficiency Particulate filters which get rid of pollen, pet dander and other allergens. They are very helpful to asthma and allergy sufferers.
Call our service phone number today to schedule a basic HVAC tune-up and to ask what filter may be best for your home.
Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning is the committed to helping homeowners in the greater Los Angeles area experience total home comfort. In 2021, the readers of the Los Angeles Times voted Brody Pennell the Best HVAC Company in the area.
Please fill out the form below to request an estimate or schedule service.
We aren't comfortable until you are! To get started, give us a call at (310) 896-4911 or book online.
Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning has provided Los Angeles with award-winning HVAC service. Our team can service, repair, and install any brand heating and air conditioning system. We are here for you!
Mon – Fri: 7:00am – 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am − 1:00pm
24/7 Emergency Service Available!
8599 Venice Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90034
CA LIC# 256821
© Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning | All Rights Reserved.