As a responsible homeowner, it’s important to pay attention to all aspects of your living space, especially your air conditioning system. Just like your roof and gutters, it requires timely repair and maintenance to improve its efficiency, prolong its service life, and reduce the risks of breakdowns.
While every part of the unit is essential to keep it running smoothly, certain components need more care than others. Here are five of those.
5 Air Conditioning Components to Look Out For
Performing visual inspections frequently can help you determine if your air conditioning unit needs cleaning and tune-ups. Keep an eye out on these five components:
- Evaporator and Condenser Coil. While having a clean filter will keep the evaporator coil from soiling fast, it will still amass dirt. This minimizes airflow and insulates the coil, weakening its ability to absorb heat. It’s essential to inspect this every year and clean it as needed. The outdoor condenser coils can also become mucky if the environment is dusty or if there are plants nearby. Make sure to remove debris and trim foliage back at least two feet to allow airflow.
- Air Conditioner Filters. Clogged, dirty filters keep air from flowing freely through the system, which impairs the efficiency of your air conditioner. That said, it’s important to change them with clean ones every four to six weeks. If you have pets or if you use your unit constantly, the filters may require more attention.
You can clean and reuse some types of filters, while others need to be replaced. The filters of room air conditioners are usually located on the grill that faces into the room. For central air conditioners, their filters are typically secured somewhere along the length of the return duct.
- Condensate Drains. This component carries the excess moisture out of your home so you don’t have to deal with a puddle of water on your floor. However, they can become clogged over time due to mold and mildew buildup. That said, have your technician clean them occasionally.
- Coil Fins. These are a part of the condenser that helps improve heat transfer. The problem, however, is they can bend easily and block airflow through the coil. Using “fin combs” can help restore them to a near-pristine condition.
- Window Seals for Room Air Conditioners. Excessive moisture can damage the seal, causing the cool air to leak. Your unit should be secured to your window frame to avoid energy loss.
Turn to Brody Pennell for Professional Air Conditioning Repair and Maintenance
Once you detect any problem on your air conditioning system, rely on the experts at Brody Pennell to perform the necessary repairs. With over 72 years in the business, we can deal with all sorts of HVAC issues and provide the best solutions. You can also count on us to conduct preventive maintenance. This way, you can maximize the potential of your system while reducing your energy costs. In turn, you can enjoy a more comfortable and healthier home.
Since 1945, Brody Pennell Heating & Air Conditioning is the committed to helping homeowners in the greater Los Angeles area experience total home comfort. In 2021, the readers of the Los Angeles Times voted Brody Pennell the Best HVAC Company in the area.
Please fill out the form below to request an estimate or schedule service.